Thursday 26 February 2015

Starting Off the Project

My passion project this year is crocheting. I chose this for my project because about a month ago my cousin Jen, who is my mentor for my project, started teaching herself how to crochet and from seeing her projects I was interested in it and thought it would be cool to learn. Right away I knew it would be something I could do for my passion project.

I started off my project by going to Michaels Craft Store to get some yarn and a hook so I could start my first project. Jen told me they have a large selection of yarn, and she was right! I did not expect to see as much yarn as I did. There was all different sizes and colours and I was shocked at all the rows of it all. I bought four balls of "Bernat Mega Bulky" yarn and a size 11 hook (see hook sizes on my Hooks page). After I bought the yarn I went to visit Jen. She was planning on teaching me how to make a blanket so that is what we started off doing. We ended up using a whole ball of yarn after just two rows and we realized that we would need A LOT more yarn if we wanted to make a decent sized blanket so we decided to take it all apart and make a scarf instead. It was pretty discouraging taking apart my work because I was very slow and the two rows took me about and hour to do. I realized that we would need thicker yarn to make a blanket. She then helped me start off the scarf and now that is what I am currently working on. One other thing I learned while making the blanket was that I made my stitches a bit to tight to start so it made it difficult later on when I had to go through those stitches again. So that is something I will have to keep in mind as I make this scarf.

There are a few different stitches that I learned that I will post videos of me doing soon. 

1 comment:

  1. While I'm sure it was disheartening to have to undo your work, it is good that you got off to an early start. The stitching I saw in class looked good, and I really like the colour.

    ReplyDelete